Christmas is a few weeks away and the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is already in full force! The holidays are the busiest time of the year and sometimes we get so caught up in what we need to do, that we might forget about taking care of ourselves. Even with all of the holiday parties, sweet treats and temptations to do more, you can stay healthy, happy, energized, and productive during the Holidays.
Here are some of my favorite healthy holiday tips that I like to share with my clients to help them maintain balance in their lives.
1. Believe. Yes, just believe it is possible! So many people have limiting beliefs that cause them to sabotage themselves. For example, you might say to yourself: "There is no way I can go to my office holiday party and not eat everything in sight." Instead, eat something small before the party and drink a couple glasses of water. Go into the party feeling satisfied and confident that you can enjoy yourself without overindulging!
2. Eat Breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day & jump starts your metabolism. After 7-8 hours of sleep, your body needs nutrients. If you skip breakfast, you are setting yourself up for a day full of cravings, moodiness, and irritability. Many people think that skipping breakfast or other meals leading up to a big holiday meal is a good idea. WRONG!
3. Exercise early. The holiday season tends to get busier and busier as the day goes on, which means it becomes easier to find excuses to skip exercising. Start your day off with a workout, and you'll be burning calories all day.
4. Stay hydrated. With all of the running around shopping, decorating, and parties to attend, it's important to make sure you are staying hydrated. Dehydration causes us to feel sluggish and gives us a false sense of hunger. Aim to drink half of your weight in ounces of water each day. This will aid in digestion and help to detoxify your body.
5. Take supplements. Due to our toxic environment and stressful lifestyles, supplements are necessary. The Holidays tend to be more stressful for many people, so increasing supplementation in November and December is important. I recommend a high quality probiotic & anti fungal, an aloe-based multi-vitamin, and a plant based omega. My product partner is Plexus and you can get all three of these supplements HERE (PS: If you are already taking a probiotic, multi and an omega, consider doing my 60-day challenge and switching to Plexus for 2 months if you aren't feeling a substantial difference in your health with your current supplements).
6. Don't count calories, don't deprive yourself, and don't weigh yourself. Need some accountability? Join my 60-Day Challenge and receive weekly emails from me, my favorite 3 Plexus supplements, my favorite recipes and healthy eating meal plan. Only $90 per month. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up today!
7. Focus on Family and the Spirit of the Holiday. The shopping, parties, commotion, and even the food are all secondary to the true meaning of the season, whatever that may be to you. Be it a family time, or spiritual time, focus on what the holidays mean to you and remember that is what the holidays are all about. Focus on your own Reason for the Season and ENJOY!!!!
Recipe of the Month
Chocolate & Almond Butter Fudge
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup almond butter (or unsalted crunchy peanut butter)
- 2 cups raw cacao
- 1 cup dates (pitted)
- 1 to 2 pinches of unrefined sea salt
Soak your dates in hot water for about 20 minutes to make them soft and sticky. Melt your coconut oil on very low heat. Place all your ingredients, except the almond butter, in your high speed blender and blend until soft and well combined. Add the almond butter at the end to keep the crunch. Spread evenly in a tin or container. Place in the fridge for about one hour.
Source: Adapted from Mind Body Green
Upcoming Programs ...
10 Day Detox!! Eat a whole foods diet for 10 days and break free from emotional eating and food addiction. Starts Monday, January 11, 2016.
7 Day Pink Drink Challenge!! Stabilize your blood sugar and reduce inflammation with my 7-Day Plexus Pink Drink Challenge for just $24.95.